Saturday, June 12, 2010

PC Police Blotter

Hallmark has pulled one of its graduation cards off the shelves after the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People complained that it used racial stereotypes and contained an abusive slur aimed at black women.

The card's micro speaker has two Hallmark characters, Hoops and Yoyo, bantering about how the graduate is going to dominate the universe. They tell the planets to "watch your back" and issue a stern warning to "ominous" black holes.

(The NAACP) say that the audio sounds more like "black whores," and that card is implying that black women are not as capable or as powerful as their white counterparts.

Hugh Collins, AOL News, June 12, 2010



Groucho: "Now down here are the levees."
Chico: "That's-a the Jewish neighborhood."

The Marx Brothers, Cocoanuts, 1929

I haven't heard the entire message of the Hallmark card, so I can't comment on what it does or doesn't say. However, I do find it interesting to note that the Anti-Defamation Leauge of B'nai Brith did not issue any charges of anti-semitism when the disaster in New Orleans was blamed on the failure of the levees. Nor do I recall a large outcry from the gay community when there were clearly problems with the dikes.

1 comment:

  1. When I was thinking of getting a dog I pondered names (muchas you do a child).
    I considered Digger, which is a nickname for folks from down-under. I was thinking of an Australian sheepdog.
    Calling the dog outloud might sound the same as what Wg Cdr Gibson of 617 Sqn called his dog.
    I changed to Murphy

    ReplyDelete